The Gibson Les Paul Custom Rosewood Maduro is all ‘Tuxedo’, but it’s loosened its tie a bit…
The Gibson Les Paul Custom Rosewood Maduro is something of a landmark in the Custom’s history. The Les Paul Custom was launched in 1954 as the brand’s ‘Tuxedo’ model, for black-tie events. Initially the model was only available in gloss black, as a result of Les Paul’s suggestion – It looked ‘classy’ and ‘made your fingers appear to move faster. The black, ebony fingerboard, and contrasting white binding and gold hardware created an instrument that justified its expensive ‘Tuxedo’ styling.
Other finishes have been available since then, however, but the ebony fingerboard has been a staple feature. Ebony is becoming increasingly scarce, however, and has become protected in its raw, un-felled form. The Les Paul Custom Rosewood Maduro addresses this, and slips into a slightly more casual brown suit…
The most distinctive feature of the Custom Rosewood Maduro is its warm, chocolate-brown finish. Taking its name from the Maduro broadleaf used to make high-quality cigars, this is no less ‘classy’ than the Black Beauty, but a little less ‘tuxedo’ and a little more ‘stylish suit’. In part, at least, this new finish is to complement the other new feature of the Gibson Les Paul Custom Rosewood Maduro.
The fingerboard is made of bi-layered Rosewood. This is far more sustainable than ebony, and the brown body finish matches the colour of the fingerboard closely. The tonal character of an ebony ‘board is maintained, but with slightly warmer overtones.
With regard to other features, it is, in the larger part ‘business as usual’. Here are the Gibson Les Paul Custom Rosewood Maduro ‘s key features:
- Mahogany body with maple top – a chambered, weight relieved body is matched with a two piece carved maple top
- Mahogany neck – deep set, glued-in mahogany neck.
- Rosewood fingerboard – rather than an ebony fingerboard, a bi-layered rosewood design is equipped, with block inlays
- Tune-o-matic bridge – The classic, ultra-reliable bridge, with stopbar tailpiece
- Two Maduro Brown finishes available – Gloss with gold hardware, and VOS with nickel hardware
- Dual Humbuckers – featuring a 490R and 498T on the gloss model, and ’57 Classics on the VOS model
- Gibson Custom Shop Hardshell Case
Gibson Les Paul Custom Rosewood Maduro is 100% Les Paul Custom, but adds a new charm and character the model. The two finishes, each with different pickups and thus, differing tonal character represent two sides of the same coin- the gloss version a modern Custom LP, while the VOS provides a more ‘vintage’ oriented version.
This beautiful guitar is in stock now. Order the standard gloss version from our online store here, and the VOS version here. Or, call our stores or customer service team (01925 582420) for more info.
Share on Facebook
Powered by Facebook Comments